Friday, July 25, 2008

A blog, who me?

OMG!!! I can't believe I have made it this far in setting up this blog without breaking the computer or crashing the ENTIRE world wide Internet. All who know me can attest that I am not exactly technically literate, but I must be doing something right. A blog, who me? I can't believe it myself! So am I officially a Blogger, is that even a politically correct term?

Anyway, here I am.

I must confess that it took me a few minutes, and more than a few attempts with spell check, to come up with a name for this blog. I was reading something recently that posed the question that we all have thought about. "How do you want people to remember you?" It was in a women's magazine and many of the readers responses centered around being remembered for their mothering and their love of their family. It really made me think about what I want to have accomplished. Of course I want people to remember me as someone who loved her family and her children, but more importantly I want to be significant.

The dictionary defines significant as:

1: having meaning, 2 a: having or likely to have influence or effect, 2 b: probably caused by something other than mere chance.

I want my life to have meaning and more importantly for everyone to know that how I lived was caused by something other than mere chance, but instead created in me by God.

That brings me to the word relevant. This was another concept that I really had been struggling to attain. This need to be of the world, to be like everyone else. Recently I have been realizing how much my striving for relevance has been interfering with my relationship with God. God hasn't called me to blend in. If I really want my life to have significance than I have to stand apart from that which I have been trying so hard to fit in to.

And so, this is my attempt to sort through the thoughts that bombard me and the experiences that amaze me as I am on a path to be significantly irrelevant.

2 comments:

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith said...

Absolutely brilliant name. I think it could be a sermon title. As my homiletics professor told us, "That'll preach!" Well, great to see you on here! Keep it up!