Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Words

So, I am kind of a closet nerd. I have a strong affinity for words, one that could be considered borderline obsessive. I am always amazed at the power of words, that a simple combination of letters can have so much impact. My absolute favorite word is nevertheless. I just love it!

I follow lots of "word for the day" lists and today two of my words were diaphanous and contretemps. My goal for the day is to use those words in casual conversation, which could be a stretch considering who I will be talking to.

Here is my favorite quote for the day...

We are all of us more or less echoes, repeating involuntarily the virtues, the defects, the movements, and the characters of those among whom we live. -Joseph Joubert, essayist (1754-1824


What is your favorite word?

3 comments:

Kevin said...

On of my favorite words is 'If'. It's only 2 letters and yet, it's extraordinarily powerful. The fate of countries have relied on the word. If Russia has a bomb, If North Korea launches theirs, If someone attacks Israel. It's so strong.

Other than that one, I'd say fantasticle.

Heather said...

I too am a fan of "if". As for fantasticle, that I would have to say is a new one, I will for sure be using that one in a sentence today :)

Emily said...

My favorite word is 'defenestrate'. We used to use it on each other in the physics building (high up, lots of windows). We'd tell each other to go defenestrate yourself. :-) Yeah, we were dorks... lol